Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Quick Greens + Protein Bowl


When you're aiming to eat healthy, salads become a mainstay.  Most of the time, that's fine by me - there are so many options when putting a salad together that it's easy to stave off boredom.  But every once in awhile, I just want a hot lunch.

In my pre-Paleo days, Quinoa was my quick, throw-together, healthy and hot go-to.  I'm happy to share that I've come up with a new, Paleo-friendly hot meal that you can have on the table in no time with food you probably already have in your freezer.

Greens + Protein Bowl (Choose Your Own Adventure)
(Makes 1-2 servings)
  • Generous 1 Tbsp. cooking fat of choice (I used clarified butter/ghee)
  • 1-2c protein of choice, cubed or shredded (I used some leftover roasted chicken breast)
  • 1/2 small onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or the lazy, pre-diced garlic that comes in a jar)
  • ~4c greens of choice, rinsed, drained & torn (I used some gorgeous rainbow chard from last week's CSA basket, larger ribs removed)
  • Freshly ground salt
  • EVOO
  • Hot sauce of choice (optional, kind of*) (I used Frank's Red Hot)
  1. Heat cooking fat of choice in a non-stick pan over medium to medium-high heat.  Add protein, onion, & garlic.  Season to taste with salt, and saute for 3-5 minutes, until the onion just starts to become soft and translucent.  
  2. Add greens and continue cooking until they are wilted (my chard took longer than spinach would have - just keep an eye on it).
  3. Before serving drizzle with EVOO and hot sauce to taste.
  4. Enjoy!
(*I say the hot sauce is optional, but unless you truly can't tolerate it on your palate or are avoiding as part of an Autoimmune Protocol, I highly, highly recommend at least a few drops.  It does something special and magical with the greens and absolutely makes this meal pop!)

What's your go-to meal when you're craving a hot lunch?


No comments:

Post a Comment