Monday, January 27, 2014

Whole 30: Week 3


Week 3 is behind me and I'm in the home stretch!  Thank goodness, because the Day 21 slump hit in full force.  It's not that I'm not motivated to keep going: clothes are fitting better, skin is noticeably clearer, and my joints are a little less painful (at least on the days that haven't been bitterly cold).  But, as predicted, some of the fare is getting a bit dull (despite some great recipes in Week 3).  I have some more new recipes to try in Week 4 to get me through to the finish line.

Breakfasts

I made my own egg cups this week using chopped up Bilinski sausage and onions. On Wednesday, when I was home with the kids, I made Danielle Walker's Smoky Sweet Potato Hash, which was amazing! So amazing, that I was so quick to eat it (initially and reheated on some subsequent mornings) that I forgot to snap a quick photo to include here!  Because I have been unable to get my hands on sugarless bacon, I used prosciutto (added just before the eggs) and used 2 tsp. of ghee to cook the sweet potatoes.  I also toned back the seasonings because I suspected Mouse would be stealing off my plate yet again (1/4 tsp. chili powder and only a dash of cayenne pepper; and yes, I was right).

Lunches

I had business lunches again this week, but with some more casual, familiar colleagues so I was able to have one lunch at Whole Foods and another at Chipotle.  The Whole Foods one was a treat, and incredibly easy with all of the ingredients listed at the hot bar.  I also survived a lunch at Taco Mac (which on a weekend, non-Whole 30 day is easily a favorite place for beer, wings and queso) with a beef patty over lettuce with salsa and guacamole.  Nominate me for sainthood, people!

At home, I had leftover salmon (see photo above and recipe notes below) over supergreens with these beets from Michelle at Nom Nom Paleo.  I also continued the chicken salad quest, but have yet to find the holy grail.  Then again, I am a self-confessed chicken salad snob, so this may be a Don Quixote kind of quest.  This week I hybridized this recipe and this one.  The result was good but not great.

Dinners

I was spared some kitchen time (last week's gripe) with leftovers (stuffed peppers on Monday; brisket on Thursday; chicken salad on Friday; and baked-ahead chicken breasts with leftover beets and asparagus on Saturday).  On Tuesday, I made the Ghee Salmon recipe from Lindsay at Fit & Awesome, to rave reviews from Daddy M and Mouse (who literally threw her Earth's Best fish sticks on the floor in order to steal my salmon).  We used a generous sprinkle of Trader Joe's 21 Season Salute for flavor on each piece.  As Daddy M put it: definitely a "do again"!

Onward and upward to Week 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment