Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Moose's Morning Moomie


I was reading a blog post over the weekend about cooking for picky toddlers (wish I could remember where!) and the writer asked for others to contribute their best recipes in the comments.  I closed the window, visions of carefully-prepared cast-off toddler meals replaying in my mind, thinking to myself that I had nothing valuable to contribute to the conversation.

And then, this morning, with the blender running, I realized that I DO! I give you:

MOOSE'S MORNING MOOMIE 
(that's smoothie in non-toddler speak)
  • 1/2 c. yogurt of choice (I use 2% vanilla Greek yogurt at the moment from a local dairy)
  • 1 x 4ish ounce pouch of fruit puree/vegetable puree (I use Happy Tot to give Moose a little veggie boost early in the day and also because they have good protein and fiber; there are lots of other options out there)
  • Milk of choice
Use 1/2 cup measure to scoop the yogurt into the blender (no need to get a spoon dirty!).  Squeeze puree pouch in next (BONUS: I'm saving the lids to use as counters as Moose learns his numbers).  Pour milk on top to about the 2 cup mark on your blender.  Blend until smooth.  

Yield: 2, 7oz servings
Moose gets one immediately (the whole idea arose about nine months ago when Moose decided that life was too short to sit down for breakfast; it's just become part of our morning routine now), and the other goes, ready in the sippy cup, into the fridge for the next day.  I'm about to experiment with freezing (already blended) in baggies to pre-make more than two days worth for when I'm out of town later this month and my mother-in-law will be serving Moose's breakfast.

Then I want to get brave and start making his smoothies from more whole ingredients.  I'm really keen to try this Green Supreme Smoothie

There are a ton of resources out there for toddler food.  I'm starting a collection of kiddo food (some more nutritious than others) on Pinterest.  I also adore the recipes at Once a Month Mom.

Oh, and P.S. I'm not above throwing one of these together when dinner is a total bust to make sure Moose gets some nutrition to top off the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment