Monday, April 2, 2012

It's CSA Time!

Photo from Moss Hill Farm

This year, we joined a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and are splitting a share with another family.  It's our first week of getting a box from the Moss Hill Farm CSA and I'm beyond excited! This was the update from Farmer Floyd this morning:  "I think we will have Joi Choi, carrots, beets, radishes, leeks, onions, 2 kinds of lettuce and winterboro kale."

So I've been spending my lunchtime trying to figure out what to DO with it all!  Enter Follow Me on Pinterest . . .

At this point, this is what the adult menu for next week looks like (Moose still mostly has his own menu, and samples ours to test out his tastebuds):
  • Sunday: use leeks in a quiche (this makes me nostalgic for England, where leeks are a quiche - or tart, as they call it there - staple);
  • Monday: Asian stir fry using the Choi and some onion; 
  • Tuesday: leftover Shrimp and Orzo bake (which I'm making for dinner this Friday)
  • Wednesday: we have a standing dinner date with close family friends
  • Thursday: leftover quiche
  • Friday: leftover stir fry
I also plan to: Only the radishes have me stumped.  I wish my dad lived closer - he loves raw radishes on his salads!  The only semi-promising thing I've found is making pickled radishes, but I'm skeptical.  If you're interested in seeing what I found so far, check out my CSA board on Pinterest.

I really no idea how much of everything we'll have (pick-up is not until Thursday).  And we will split with another family.  These first few weeks will be more of a guessing game, I imagine, and I'm open to pretty nearly any suggestion on how to best take advantage of these beautiful vegetables we'll have.  

What are your favorite seasonal produce recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment